BollingerBandwidth Indicator for NinjaTrader

NinjaTrader didn't have my favorite indicator already pre-built in, so today I made my first custom indicator for NinjaTrader. The BollingerBandwidth indicator is essentially the same as the Standard Deviation indicator already built in.

The Basic Formula for the BollingerBandwidth indicator is:

Bollinger Band Width = (Upper Band - Lower Band)/Middle Band



As you can see, the Bollingerbandwidth indicator drawn matches the underlying Standard Deviation indicator. The direction of the two will always match each other regardless of the parameters used. With the Bollingerbandwidth indicator that I made, the only real thing that is added is a standard deviation parameter which can be used to reduce or amplify the shape of the indicator to match the standard deviation your using on your Bollingerbands. You could come up with a number of ideas to use the extra StdDev. parameter I've added.



In addition to the basic Bollingerbandwidth indicator I made 2 variations of this indicator which I prefer to use over the standard indicator (All 3 indicators shown in chart above). The first variation I made is an indicator which gives you the raw value between the Upper and Lower Bollingerbands.

Bollinger Band Width Raw = Upper Band - Lower Band

This indicator can be used a number of ways. For example, maybe you want to look for trades where there is a move in a stock of XX pts, or maybe you want to look for when the Raw bollingerbandwidth on ES is greater then XX pts.

The next indicator is my favorite variation of this indicator because it tells me the percentage between the upper and lower bollingerbands.

Bollinger Band Width Percent = ((Upper Band / Lower Band) -1) *100

I like to use this indicator because it is the easiest to understand. For example the standard bollingerbandwidth indicator normally gives values between 0.001-0.01, while the BollingerbandwidthPercent indicator gives you a pecentage of the difference between the upper and lower bollingerband, normally between 0.1-2.0% depending on the range of the move in the stock or futures contract. I like to use this indicator with a combination of other indicators for finding low volatility entry areas and high volatility exit areas.

I've made these indicators available for download for Free at MediaFire.com

BollingerBandwidth Indicators

0 comments